Promoting Maternal Mental Health Before, During & After Pregnancy
The Maternal & Family Center meets the mental health care needs for prenatal, pregnant, and up to two years postpartum women and families.
This program is designed for women and families who are trying to conceive, are currently pregnant or postpartum, or who have suffered grief related to a pregnancy or loss of a young child. Specialty care is provided with expertise in treating the whole family, including pregnancy in teens and young adults.
Did you know that more than 1 in 7 women experience changes in their mental health before, during and after pregnancy?
The goal of this program is to help women improve their ability to cope and function in their daily lives and enable women and families to develop skills to promote mental health wellness. Maternal mental health disorders, also known as perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADs), can manifest in a variety of the following ways:
- Overwhelming exhaustion and fatigue
- Withdrawal from family and friends
- Deep sadness or hopelessness
- Not feeling like yourself
- Lack of joy in life
- Feelings of shame, guilt, or inadequacy
- Difficulty bonding with the baby
- Intense irritability or anger
- Severe mood swings
- Excessive worrying
If you have experienced any of the symptoms above, know that you are not alone. We are here for support.
Our program is equipped to address conditions such as depression, anxiety, other mood disorders, substance use disorders, trauma, OCD, psychosis, and other mental health conditions.
[su_service title=”Counseling & Support” icon=”icon: handshake-o”]We offer individual, family, and couples counseling along with support groups to help every step of the way. This includes family support as well as education for dads, spouses, partners, and loved ones.[/su_service]
[su_service title=”Care Coordination” icon=”icon: community”] We coordinate with primary care doctors, OB/GYNs, or outside mental health professionals. We offer case management support through psychoeducational counseling.[/su_service]
[su_service title=”Medication Management” icon=”icon: medkit” size=”24″]We provide medication evaluation, management, and counseling.[/su_service]
The Maternal & Family Center at CarePlus is dedicated to supporting families throughout the many stages of parenthood. Our support groups can provide a safe space for parents to ask questions, share their own stories, and receive support from others who have encountered similar emotions and experiences.
New Parent Support Group
- Our group can help you connect with other parents, talk about your experiences, and learn helpful tools and recourses as you navigate your journey into new parenthood.
- Whether you are experiencing stress, adjustment to parenting, baby blues, pregnancy, or postpartum depression or anxiety, our group is here for you.
- The support group for New Parents meets virtually every Tuesday from 5pm-6pm. Babies are welcome and encouraged to attend with their parents!
The Pregnancy & Infant Loss Support Group
- Experiencing the loss of your baby, infant, or child brings unbearable pain and grief and can make you feel alone or lost.
- We offer support groups for parents who have experienced miscarriage, stillbirth, newborn death, or termination of pregnancy, as well as women who are pregnant following a loss.
- You are not alone. The Pregnancy & Infant Loss Support Group meets virtually every Thursday from 5pm – 6pm.
The Maternal & Family Center services are tailored to fit the individual needs of the women and families we serve. Our dedicated team of experts are specially trained in perinatal mental health and certified by Postpartum Support International.
For more information or to make a referral, please call 201-986-5000
Ask for the Maternal & Family Center | Monday – Friday | 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Hours are flexible based on individual needs. Services are covered by most health insurance plans; however, individuals may be denied services if they are unable to pay.
There are many obstacles to connecting with care, but we are committed to getting you through them. Our Online Referral System provides a direct route for new clients to connect with CarePlus NJ services.
When you submit this form, our Admissions Team will contact you to offer a telehealth intake session within 48 hours. We know technology is often another barrier, so face-to-face assessment are also available. All major insurance payers are accepted, including Medicare and Medicaid.
[su_button url=”https://kiosk.careplusnj.org/ReferralOnline” target=”blank” background=”#425e85″]Request Appointment[/su_button]
*If you are having difficulty registering online, please call our Admissions Department at 201-986-5000